11p (short arm)
We are the only family in the Network with a duplication on the p side of chromosome 11.
We have a boy. Antoine, who is 20 years old.
There are some common characteristics with 11q disorders.
- Premature birth: Antoine was born at 32.5 weeks pregnancy
- Blood problems: Antoine had thrombocytopenia and anemia at the birth and received platelets transfusion
- Feeding problems: he ate until the age of 8 all his food mixed
- Surgery: he had several times surgeries for double intestinal hernias, undescended testicles and cysts
- Therapy: occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech therapy
- Antoine also suffers from kyphosis and hypokyphosis.
Antoine has a mental retardation. He speaks two languages: French with his mum and Dutch with his dad.
He was in a Montessori school in first and in a specialized school in secondary.
Since a few months, he has been working in a restaurant for people with disabilities. He serves as a waiter 4 days a week. www.65degres.be
Antoine is very sociable, endearing, smiling and curious. We are very proud of him.
PP & C van Heesewijk